Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Stephen Brayton- Twelve Question Tuesday

Today I welcome Stephen Brayton to Twelve Question Tuesday. 

1.  Please tell me the three most important things people should know about you.
I'm witty, lovable and romantic. Okay, so those are the attractive attributes for potential girlfriends. Actually, I don't know how important they might be to others, but I am a Fifth Degree Black Belt in takewondo. I'm also left-handed. (See, not too important in the bigger scheme of things.) The third thing...well, I guess I'll have to fall back on witty, lovable and romantic.

 2.  Are you a dog person or a cat person? 
I have a 13 pound cat. I'd love to have one of those Maine Coon monster cats. But of course, I love dogs, too. 

3.  Tea or coffee?
Definitely, without question, no regrets tea. Who first decided to scam millions of people that bitter filtered dirt tastes good? 

4.  Boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs, or commando? (Either what you prefer or what you prefer on others.)
Actually, I wear the boxer-briefs. 

5.  What was the first thing you ever wrote?
Other than my name? I wrote a short story about discipline. It was sort of an autobiographical story. I think my mother still has it somewhere. 

6.  When did you finally decide to call yourself a writer?I guess I've thought of myself a writer since I started writing. Short stories, journal entries, blog posts, novels. It's been a progression of writing projects. I think if you're writing, then you're a writer. You're an author when you have something published.

 
7.  Which of your works are you most proud to have written?
All of my published books. The first one because it was the first one. The second one because it was the first in the Mallory Petersen series. The third one because it was the first in print rather than just an eBook. 



8.  What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
Talking to a pretty girl. Seriously, do you realize the heartache I suffer psyching myself up to ask  a girl for a date? Give me a wild car ride around a precarious mountain and I'll be okay. Give me standing on the edge of a thousand foot high cliff. No problem. Give me two muggers with knives. I can use my martial arts skills. Give me a pretty girl who I'd love to take out to dinner? Scared out of my mind. 

9.  How did you end up getting published?
Do you remember the scene in The Godfather with the horse's head in the producer's bed...Uh, in reality, I submitted two novels to four publishers after a Nashville writer's conference in 2009. A month later, three had rejected me. The fourth sent an email and accepted both books. In February of 2011, Night Shadows was published and later in October of the same year, Beta came out as an eBook. 

10.  Would you be food or fighter if the zombie apocalypse were to happen?
I'd fight as long as I could. Probably, I'd try to join up with a band of survivors who had heavy artillery. 

11.  What is the most daring thing you have ever done?
Didn't you read the answer to question 8? 

12.  Would you rather be rich or famous--and you could only have one-- and why?  The fame would be based on something good, not something like being the best serial killer or anything like that.
I think the answer would depend on the circumstances. Now, if we're referring to my books, I think fame would be good. Some people may think I'm stroking my ego or have a big head, but I want to be known in the literary world. I want people to enjoy my books. I want to go on a national tour and speak at colleges and books stores and conferences. I want to be the 'special guest' at Killer Nashville or Bouchercon. Beyond the ego boost, I think it would be fun. Plus, I'd get a chance to share my experience and knowledge and hopefully help other writers.

If we're talking in general, I have to go with rich. Because with money, I think I'd have more freedom to explore different areas of life. Travel, martial arts, as well as continue writing. Seriously, who likes working for a living? If you have the financial resources and you choose to work, fine, that's your choice. But to be financially set to have those choices is the way to go.


By the author:

 Alpha: On a rainy October morning, Mallory Petersen, private detective and martial artist, discovers the corpse of her boyfriend, Bobby Furillo, in front of her office in Des Moines. Bucking police authority and continually attacked by unknown adversaries, Mallory uncovers Bobby's devastating secrets. Each new revelation puts Mallory in deeper peril from powerful and dangerous people. And just what are those enigmatic RSVP cards that keep showing up in Mallory's mail?






Book review blog: www.braytonsbookbuzz.wordpress.com



8 comments:

Holli Castillo said...

Thank you Stephen for such interesting responses. It's always fascinating to learn more about other writers with such diverse backgrounds.

Stephen L. Brayton said...

Thanks for having me. I always enjoy interviews.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I like your sense of humor. Why can't we have both fame and fortune? Beryl

Patricia Gligor's Writers Forum said...

Stephen,
As always, you made me laugh! When it comes to the "asking a girl out" thing, maybe all you need is a good coach. I love your character, Mallory. Maybe you should ask her for some dating tips?

Stephen L. Brayton said...

I would love to ask Mallory out for dinner but I think I'd be too scared. I mean, Mallory is gorgeous, pretty much my dream girl but, alas, I'd have to really psych myself to ask her out.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Stephen is another author I've actually me. He's a delightful guy and I have a problem with him characterizing himself as being shy around girls.

Marja said...

Great interview, Stephen, and it showcases your humor, which I thoroughly enjoy. Thanks for sharing!
Marja McGraw

Unknown said...

We have two things in common, Stephen: tea and a 13 lb. cat. You have a terrific sense of humor, as the others have commented. Years from now, you'll probably publish a self-help book, instructing others on how to pick up pretty ladies, an art you'll surely master when you hit the best seller lists and make all that money.