|Nicola Furlong water color|
1. Please tell me the three most important things people should know about you.
1. I dig playing old-timers’ hockey, gardening, reading/writing/listening/watching mysteries and eating chocolate fudge.
2. My family is large and Catholic, so I’ve got the T-shirt on sharing, squabbling, screaming and lack of seclusion.
3. Do not get between me and anything chocolate.
· Love them both. My life is currently immeasurably enhanced by a sweet giant of a Yorkshire Terrier, a spunky mixed Maltie/Shihtzu and an amazing rescued Himalayan cat.
3. Tea or coffee?
· True to my British/Irish heritage, make mine a cuppa black tea and have you got any chocolate biscuits?
4. Boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs, or commando? (Either what you prefer or what you prefer on others.)
· Love boxers every which way.
5. What was the first thing you ever wrote?
· Uncertain but most likely a plea for more chocolate. Older siblings would have cleaned me out.
6. When did you finally decide to call yourself a writer?
· With my first byline in the local newspaper on a personal essay about putting my first car out to pasture. I knew then I could play with words as skillfully as with balls, pucks and bats.
7. Which of your works are you most proud to have written?
· My multimedia online version of my supernatural thriller, Unnatural States, because it involved working with my creative partner and a dozen actors and combining words with videos, music, sound effects and photographs to create a new, thrilling reading experience.
8. What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
· Running home from a construction site—hemorrhaging blood—when I was a kid, after I split open the top of my head. Got a gnarly skull from the resulting twenty-five fat stitches. Will make it dead easy to ID my body.
9. How did you end up getting published?
· I started with personal essays in local papers and then had my first murder mystery, Teed Off! published in 1996.
10. Would you be food or fighter if the zombie apocalypse were to happen?
· Oh, I love competition and scary, supernatural stuff so I’d be out there battling. It’s only a flesh wound, after all.
11. What is the most daring thing you have ever done?
· Dedicating a year and thousands of dollars into developing the multimedia version of Unnatural States…in 2009 when mixing videos and sound with reading was bold and daunting. Fortunately, the work was an absolute gas and the reading experience exhilarating.
12. Would you rather be rich or famous--and you could only have one-- and why? The fame would be based on something good, not something like being the best serial killer or anything like that.
· Rather have the dough than the glam, thanks. The cash might last whereas the fame will be fleet footed.
Crackling with wit and suspense, TEED OFF! delivers three holes in one: a complex and engrossing murder mystery, a fascinating glimpse into professional golf and a complicated and poignant family dynamic. When coroner Riley Quinn tees off an investigation into the suspicious death of her boss and brother-in-law, she finds herself sand-wedged by a villainous environmental group, a mysterious Japanese consortium and her estranged sister. In order to catch a cunning and ruthless murderer, Riley must face a nasty past she thought dead and buried. The chocoholic club pro quickly discovers that not all bad lies are on the golf course; unfortunately, sometimes they’re much closer to home.
Nicola pens mystery and inspirational novels, creates interactive iPad books, podcasts about genre writing, publishes ebooks and produces promotional book trailers, when she's not playing Old-Timer’s hockey, growing blue poppies or eating chocolate fudge. She is also the co-creator of Quillr®, a new multimedia storytelling platform. Nicola lives in small town on southern Vancouver Island, BC Canada.
Please contact Nicola at: